Experienced & Aggressive North Carolina Lawyers
Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect FAQ's
It breaks my heart to see the care that my mother–in-law is receiving in the nursing home. What can I do?
Bring your concerns to the attention of the nursing home. Tell them that you are documenting your concerns about what you have seen and that you will report it. Be sure to follow up on your threat.
Who do I make a report to?
The State Department of Health in your area.
Is there a special format for reports or complaints?
No, but you should include all of the following information with your complaint:
- Name, address, and telephone
- Your relationship to the resident in the nursing home
- The resident’s full name and reason that he/she is in the home
- Times and dates that you observed the problems
- Names of staff who may be involved, including those that you have spoken to about your concerns
- Any medical records relating to the abuse or an autopsy if death occurred
Should I contact an attorney about the situation?
If you are not getting satisfactory responses or action from the home, yes you should contact an attorney at Younce & Vtipil. An attorney will investigate the situation in the nursing home and advise you on the laws surrounding the responsibilities of nursing homes.
What constitutes abuse or neglect?
Any of the following types of behavior on the part of the nursing home constitute abuse or neglect:
- Improper diet
- Willful desertion
- Physical abuse of any kind
- Failing to clean dressings or be clothes
- Bed sores from failure to turn the patient
- Any other treatment that has, or could, result in physical harm, pain or mental suffering
How can I find a good nursing home?
Talk to any and everyone that you know, so that you can get a referral. Be sure to talk with the medical personnel (doctors, nurses, social workers, etc.) who were involved in the care of your loved one. Be sure, once you have the facilities narrowed, that you request inspection reports for your review. You can get the latest report from the nursing home director. Finally, be sure to visit the home and take note of the cleanliness, staff interactions with residents, activities available, complaints logged and number of staff on duty.
Watch Our Videos
Our Practice Areas
- Personal Injury
- Workplace Injury
- Family Law
- Social Security Disability
- Pharmaceutical Litigation
- Product Liability
Contact Us Today
Free No Obligation,
" I appreciate the outstanding service that you and your staff have shown and given to me and my family.
3701 Lake Boone Trail
Raleigh, NC 27607
Toll Free: 800-811-9495